Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Waiting, Waiting, Waiting

I don't know who reads this blog. I'd like to know. Writing to an audience that I know nothing about doesn't appeal to me. I wonder if lurkers are people in my neighborhood who have found me and will now read my innermost thoughts. It really just discourages me from writing. Anonymity is important to me.

We applied to host an exchange student. The area coordinator called the school to see if they could still accept someone. The school has not called back. The decision maker has been in meetings all week. At this point, we'll be lucky to hear anything by Friday. We are waiting. It seems like such a big decision. I'm glad to go through this process because making a commitment to someone for the next year is a bit nerve wracking. I'm decisive, but non-commital. Once something is settled I will stick to it unless it's absolutely unbearable. I'm not really sure what I just said.

We went to register Riley for school and there is no place for him. They will find out later this week if he will be bus'd to a different school and where that will be. Even driving him to another local elementary school would be better than putting him back in private school. School start in less than three weeks and we have no idea where he will be. We are waiting. I hate having things unsettled. Riley is frustrated too. I was excited for him to be in classes with the neighborhood kids. Alas, it's not to be.

In other news, I have until next week to sign up for the LSAT. Sean thinks I shouldn't do it. The moms I've known who gone to law school don't seem happy with their decision. I haven't spoken to one yet who has said it was brilliant, exciting, and life changing. That's a bit discouraging. My other idea is to complete an HR/MBA and become a Director over Human Resources for a fortunate 1000 company. I don't know. I'm decisive, but non-commital. Once something is settled I will stick to it. I'm not really sure what I want.

I LOVE my current job. I adore my husband. Most of the time I think my kids are cute and I enjoy keeping my garage organized.

3 comments:

twirldawg August 19, 2009 at 7:54 PM  

That really stinks that no one will get back to you in a timely manner.

I found your blog through another, not to be named, blog.

won August 24, 2009 at 4:31 PM  

Cat,

I came over to applaud you for being true to yourself, for letting your authenticness show. I acknowledge that within you.

Then, I read about Riley. I have had plenty of time to learn about certain school politics and laws, although I do not claim to know the specifics of what you are dealing with. What I do know, is if the school is not able to accomodate Riley, they must transport him. They can not ask you to assume that burden. Secondly, I question the legality of what they are doing. I think he has a right to go the local school, unless he has special needs that would be better served elsewhere. (Even if that means the district has to hire another teacher.)

I can do some checking around tomorrow if you are interested. Please let me know. won2xx@gmail.com

What I do know is that our public schools have a legal obligation to educate our children not only in the 3 R's, but also in social areas and I wonder how they would meet that goal if Riley were schooled with children that were not geographically desirable in terms of social opportunities.

Boy...that makes me hot!

Colleen September 4, 2009 at 11:56 PM  

Hi. I came over from "Over". I simply wanted to say hello, introduce myself, and say you have a great writing style. (Not to mention precious kids!)
~caro

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP